EMERGENCY EYE CARE SERVICES
We Provide Emergency Eye Care Services in the Wetaskiwin Area
We offer emergency services for people who require immediate and urgent eye care. If your eye is injured, immediately seek the advice of an eye doctor to reduce the risk of permanent damage to your eye or vision loss. We understand that ocular emergencies can arise at any time.
Please call Doctors Eyecare Wetaskiwin at (780-361-2020) for further instructions. If it is outside regular office hours, an after hours emergency number will be on the recording. If you are not able to get through on that number, use your best judgment. If you feel your vision issue is urgent, do not delay treatment – visit your nearest emergency room.
If the emergency is a chemical spilled into the eye, flush with an Eye Wash or tap water for 15 minutes before doing anything else (including calling our office, better yet have someone else call) if at all possible. Bring the container or WHIMS label with you to your appointment if possible.
Eye Safety – Safety Eyewear – Eye Injury Prevention
This short video stresses the importance of knowing the possible eye hazards at home and the workplace. In this video, a few actual incidents where people lost part or all of their vision are discussed, along with one person whose vision was saved by safety eyewear.
Symptoms that require emergency service include, but are not limited to:
- Sudden loss of vision
- Sudden double vision
- Sudden red/painful eye
- Pink Eye
- New onset flashes and/or floaters
- Foreign body in the eye (especially metal or chemicals)
- New or worsening swelling or pain after eye surgery
Things NOT to do while waiting for professional medical assistance:
- DO NOT press on an injured eye or rub the eye(s).
- DO NOT attempt to remove a foreign body that is resting on the cornea (the clear surface of the eye through which we see) or that appears to be embedded in any part of the eye.
- DO NOT use dry cotton (including cotton swabs) or sharp instruments (such as tweezers) on the eye.
DO call our office at (780-361-2020) for further instructions. We are here for you!